Chelsea 'mull Jackson Martinez move'
Chelsea are considering a move for Porto’s Jackson Martinez, club sources have told ESPN, amid growing suspicion that the purchase of Wayne Rooney from Manchester United may be almost impossible to pull off.
Speaking after his team’s 2-1 win over Aston Villa at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night, manager Jose Mourinho said Chelsea would not put in another bid for the England forward until after they had visited Old Trafford on Monday.
He has previously said Chelsea also have “plans B and C” should their attempts to bring in the England forward fail.
While Chelsea sources have said they are keeping the option of signing Samuel Eto’o open and there has been interest in Galatasaray’s Burak Yilmaz, Mourinho has grown increasingly keen on Martinez.
The Colombian scored 34 goals in 43 games last season, and the Stamford Bridge boss is said to feel he has both the physicality and the finesse to play the all-action front role the Chelsea system demands.
Martinez is understood to have a buy-out clause of around £30 million.