Manchester United manager David Moyes insisted that he will bring in new faces before the end of the transfer window and that he has not spoken to Wayne Rooney about Chelsea's second bid for the striker.
The Premier League champions have so far been unsuccessful in their pursuit of a star signing this summer, while Chelsea this week stepped up their attempts to capture Rooney with an improved offer reported to be worth up to £30 million.
Speaking after United's 1-1 draw with Swedish side AIK in a Stockholm friendly on Tuesday, The Times quotes Moyes as saying when asked how Rooney felt about the Blues' interest: “I’ve not asked him. You don’t need to convince anybody to play for Manchester United.”
Rooney missed the trip to Sweden with a shoulder injury, which could also rule him out of Rio Ferdinand's testimonial against Sevilla at Old Trafford on Friday. It has been reported that Rooney would gauge the reaction of United fans towards him at that match before deciding whether or not to hand in a transfer request, but it now seems more likely he will make his next appearance in the Community Shield against Wigan Athletic at Wembley on Sunday.
“I don’t think he [Rooney] will be fit for Friday,” Moyes said. “There is still a chance, but I don’t think he will be. It is not a serious injury, but the problem we’ve got with the Wembley game on Sunday is that he has not played so we need to take that into consideration.
“Is his fitness more of a concern than his future? Yes. We’re trying to get Wayne into a condition where he is ready to play.”
Whether Rooney eventually leaves or not, United's search for a new midfielder continues. Having seen primary target Thiago Alcantara join Bayern Munich and Barcelona maintaining a strong stance over Cesc Fabregas, reports on Wednesday indicate that Moyes will return to former club Everton in an attempt to sign Marouane Fellaini.
While not commenting on specific targets, Moyes said he expects to bring in new faces, with Guillermo Varela the sole new arrival at Old Trafford to date this summer.
“There will be reinforcements - they will come and we will get them,” he said. “I do think we will sign some players before the window shuts.”