Milan may step up Keisuke Honda bid
AC Milan could renew their efforts to agree terms with CSKA Moscow for Keisuke Honda after seeing Robinho injured in the club’s 2-1 friendly victory over Valencia on Saturday.
Robinho, who recently committed to a new contract with Milan, scored and missed a penalty during the Champions Cup match before sustaining an injury that is set to keep him on the sidelines for a minimum of two weeks.
Milan play the first leg of their Champions League qualification play-off on August 20 or 21, with the second leg following a week later, and the potential unavailability of the Brazilian may lead the Rossoneri to register an improved bid for Honda.
Honda, 27, is out of contract in January and has already agreed a Bosman move to the San Siro, but Milan have put forward what CSKA deem to be an unsatisfactory offer for an immediate transfer.
“He is permitted to talk to other clubs about his future but, at the moment, he cannot leave until we receive an adequate offer,” CSKA president Yevgeny Giner told the Russian media after seeing Honda score against Lokomotiv Moscow at the weekend. “There’s talk of offers of around €1.5 million to €2 million, but that’s not a useful solution for us.
“Honda is an important player for us. If Keisuke plays at his best, then he can earn a big deal, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he will finish up with Milan.”
Giner had earlier said that CSKA had received “better” offers for Honda from other clubs.
Milan also saw defender Daniele Bonera suffer a fractured patella in the Valencia game, and he has been ruled out for at least three months.
The Rossoneri have made an immediate move for Inter defender Mathias Silvestre, who has been declared surplus to requirements by new Nerazzurri coach Walter Mazzarri, and are reported to be discussing terms for the deal with their city rivals.