Moyes sure of buys, unsure of Cesc
David Moyes is "confident" Manchester United will make more signings before the transfer window closes - but is unsure if they will make a third offer for Cesc Fabregas.
Barcelona have rejected two bids for the Spain international and new manager Gerardo Martino has insisted the former Arsenal captain will not be leaving the Camp Nou.
But while United have not ended their interest in Fabregas, Moyes is debating what to do next.
"I couldn't tell you if there will be another bid," he said at a press conference in Hong Kong. "I never at any time said I knew we would get him. I just said we had made offers. They have been rejected. We will take stock from there and decide what we are going to do next.
"But what we have here is a really good squad of players already. You mustn't forget about the quality that is already here at Manchester United.”
United have also failed in bids for Thiago Alcantara, who joined Bayern Munich, and Everton left-back Leighton Baines while Moyes has also been linked with Marouane Fellaini, Luka Modric and Yohan Cabaye.
But while he said he is pleased with the group of players he inherited, he is eager to bring in more.
He added: "Undoubtedly we are hoping to add to it. I am quite confident we will do, certainly before the window shuts. We have got until September 2nd."
So far United’s only summer signings are winger Wilfried Zaha, whose £15 million move from Crystal Palace was arranged by Sir Alex Ferguson’s before his retirement, and Uruguayan youngster Guillermo Varela.
Meanwhile, United will be without defender Jonny Evans when they face Kitchee FC in Hong Kong on Monday.
“The only one who won't be involved tomorrow is Jonny Evans, who is feeling his ankle,'' added Moyes. “We will make sure we keep him out of it tomorrow.”
Captain Nemanja Vidic has missed the pre-season tour of Asia and Australia with a back injury but is set to face Crewe in a friendly on Monday night.
Moyes said: “Nemanja is coming on well. All being well, he will play at Crewe.”
But Wayne Rooney, who has been suffering from a hamstring injury, will not make his comeback and is likely to return against AIK Solna in Stockholm on August 6.
“He is not quite ready for that [Crewe] yet. At the moment we think he is on course to play in that (AIK) game."
Information from the Press Association was used in this report.