Previous
CSKA Moscow
Manchester City
2
2
FT
Game Details
AS Roma
Bayern Munich
1
7
LIVE 86'
Game Details
Apoel Nicosia
Paris Saint-Germain
0
0
ESPN3 LIVE 84'
Game Details
Barcelona
Ajax Amsterdam
2
1
LIVE 90'
Game Details
Chelsea
NK Maribor
5
0
LIVE 89'
Game Details
Schalke 04
Sporting Lisbon
3
3
ESPN3 LIVE 88'
Game Details
BATE Borisov
Shakhtar Donetsk
0
7
ESPN3 LIVE 88'
Game Details
FC Porto
Athletic Bilbao
2
1
ESPN3 LIVE 87'
Game Details
Next

50-50: Liverpool vs. Real Madrid

Champions League 1 day ago
Read

50-50: Liverpool vs. Real Madrid

Champions League 1 day ago
Read

Man Utd field second-youngest side in Europe

Manchester United 5 hours ago
Read

Fergie defends choice of Moyes

Man Ut 6 hours ago
Read
ESPN FC  By ESPN staff
Jul 23, 2013

Life bans in Nigerian fixing scandal

The Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) has imposed life bans on players and match officials after two promotion play-off matches ended in surreal scorelines of 79-0 and 67-0, also banning the teams for ten years.

Mike Umeh described the results as
Chief Mike Umeh, the chairman of the NFF organising committee, had pledged a thorough investigation.

The decision was made less than a fortnight after indefinite suspensions had been handed out to Plateau United Feeders, Akurba FC, Police Machine and Babayaro FC in the wake of the results, which happened in promotion encounters for the Nigeria Nationwide League Division 3.

Plateau United Feeders beat Akuba FC 79-0, while Police Machine FC beat Bubayaro FC 67-0. Plateau United Feeders and Police Machine had been level on points before the games, but the extraordinary scorelines meant Plateau edged above Police Machine on goal difference.

The two matches were studied by an NFF committee, which ruled that the match officials involved should get life bans.

An NFF statement said: "The NFF has accepted the recommendations, and they will be communicated to the clubs, the state FAs and FIFA.

"We will publish all the names of players and officials with their photographs and details."

Speaking as the indefinite bans were announced on July 10, Chief Mike Umeh, the chairman of the NFF organising committee, said: "It is unacceptable. This is a scandal of huge proportions. The four teams involved are suspended immediately and indefinitely, pending further sanctions.

"We will investigate this matter thoroughly and get to the bottom of it."

The farcical results led the NFF's director of competitions, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, to issue assurances that those found guilty would be appropriately punished.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.