Previous
Atletico Madrid
Espanyol
2
0
FT
Game Details
Fiorentina
Lazio
0
2
FT
Game Details
Queens Park Rangers
Liverpool
2
3
FT
Game Details
Hamburg SV
TSG Hoffenheim
1
1
FT
Game Details
Stoke City
Swansea City
2
1
FT
Game Details
Internazionale
Napoli
2
2
FT
Game Details
Next

Worrall: Chelsea march to glory

Chelsea 15 hours ago
Read
Jul 11, 2013

Pellegrini to cut City's spending

Manuel Pellegrini has kicked off his reign at Manchester City by warning that the days of spending heavily on players every summer has come to an end.

• Jolly: 'Holistic' hotseat
• Curtis: The master's voice
• Pellegrini reveals past interest

The Chilean, who replaced Roberto Mancini as manager last month, said City have to bring through more young players in the future.

City have already spent more than £45 million on bringing winger Jesus Navas and midfielder Fernandinho to the Etihad Stadium in the close season and Pellegrini, who also had an interest in Real Madrid defender Pepe, wants to add a striker.

But the 59-year-old said that City have to be quieter in future transfer windows.

"It is impossible to buy three, four or five players every year," he explained. "We need a mix with young players. We need to work with the under-21s."

Mancini was sacked after City finished second in the Premier League and were runners-up in the FA Cup but Pellegrini insisted that he does not fear the same fate.

"I am not concerned about that," he said. "It is not only to win trophies. I am here to work with young players."

Chief executive Ferran Soriano was quoted saying that City wanted to win five trophies in as many years but Pellegrini added: "I repeat, I am not concerned about that."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.