Suarez encouraged by Arsenal bid
Liverpool forward Luis Suarez has admitted his surprise at being the subject of a £30 million bid from Arsenal, but revealed the offer has helped lift his spirits ahead of the new season.
Suarez has taken Arsenal's firm interest as a sign that clubs still admire his talent regardless of his various indiscretions - the 26-year-old is currently in the middle of a ten-match ban for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.
The Uruguayan believes that the fact the approach came from another club in England, where media criticism of his conduct has been the strongest, is especially confidence-boosting.
"One has to be thankful that despite everything that's happened … clubs still value players for what they can do on the field," Suarez told Uruguayan radio station Sport 890 about Arsenal's bid, according to Sky Sports. "That makes me think that I can come back and do things well over there.
"They [the press] have given it to me in England but, like we say, I've given them stuff to feed on because if I hadn't done anything then probably they wouldn't have been as bad.
"But football is like that and you have to be accustomed to all that and it's good that the English clubs still want me."
Suarez is due to return to Liverpool for pre-season training on July 21, but those plans could change if another formal offer comes in prior to that. Suarez's agent, Pere Guardiola, reportedly reiterated to the Anfield side on Monday that his client wants to be playing Champions League football, and Suarez believes "two or three" suitors could fit that bill.
"There are a few options and the club knows that. Are there any concrete options? No, so far there hasn't been any," he added. "There are two or three clubs who I think are willing and the club knows that.
"My agent is in charge, he knows what I want. I have to present myself on July 21 to Liverpool for their tour of Australia but no one knows what could happen. I've already said what I have to say and initially I have to be there on the 21 but maybe a phone call one day can change all your plans."
Real Madrid, Chelsea and Paris St-Germain have been linked with the striker, but Suarez says he has stopped paying attention to speculation in the press - saying they "don't know anything".
"It does amuse you because they [the media] don't know anything," he added. "I think it was my wife told me that I am going to speak French [at PSG] with Edinson Cavani. She comes and tells me something different all the time.
"Or when I'm having a chat with my brother-in-law and he says 'I saw Chelsea want Luis Suarez' and I say, 'Ah yeah, I see you're eating up what the press say'.
"I say to him they know more than we do and it's funny. For now everything is going well - I am very calm."