Cerezo 'extremely happy' to sign Villa
Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has spoken of his delight at the signing of David Villa from Barcelona.
Barcelona announced on Monday that Villa would be heading to the capital, with Atletico paying an initial fee of just €2.1 million and a potential total of €5.1 million.
Villa passed his medical on Tuesday morning, and Cerezo told Radio Nacional de Espana the former Barca striker had long been a target and "could be an excellent replacement for Falcao", who left for Monaco earlier this summer.
"Villa has got many seasons ahead of him," Cerezo said of the 31-year-old. "He's a natural-born goalscorer, and we're hoping for great things because he's an important member of the Spain side. We're hoping he will score lots of goals."
Asked whether or not he could believe his club had secured the signature of a player of Villa's calibre for such a minimal price, Cerezo said: "The money is the least important part. We're extremely happy because many Spanish and foreign sides were fighting to sign Villa.
"The most important part of the deal is that we've got a player that we've wanted for a long time, even when he left Zaragoza for Valencia."
Meanwhile, Villa has taken to Twitter to thank Barcelona for a three-year spell in which he won two league titles, the Champions League and the Copa del Rey.
Thank you to @FCBarcelona_es, to the club, to the fans and to my teammates for these 3 marvelous years. I leave with great memories...— David Villa (@Guaje7Villa) July 9, 2013
Friendships and the support of fans who have always made me feel very loved. Thank you so much to all of you!— David Villa (@Guaje7Villa) July 9, 2013