The Napoli striker’s agent reportedly met PSG sporting director Leonardo over the weekend to discuss a move to the French capital.
PSG's managing director Jean-Claude Blanc said that, on Wednesday, Leonardo had missed his appeal hearing against a nine-month suspension for barging into a referee because he was "negotiating with a great player".
Speculation is mounting in France that the player in question is 27-year-old Cavani, who has a reported €63 million release clause in his contract with the Serie A club.
Blanc said he would delighted to welcome the Uruguay international to the Parc des Princes, adding: "I adore him, like many other people. I've seen him play several times for Uruguay and Napoli.
“If he was part of the PSG squad, I'd be happy. That player would interest quite a few coaches."
While rivals such as Monaco have already moved forward with their squad-building for next season, the fact Blanc’s appointment was only confirmed last week has meant a delay in the Ligue 1 champions' progress.
The coach confirmed, however, that "there will be arrivals and departures", with a left-back to provide competition for Maxwell a priority.
"[Lucas] Digne and [Eric] Abidal are likely to interest us," he said, despite reports that the pair are close to joining Monaco and Nice respectively. "If either of those two arrived, it would be a good thing."
Former France coach Blanc, who has signed a two-year deal with PSG, suggested he was also targeting Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye, one of the most consistent performers of his two-year tenure with Les Bleus.
"He brings a lot of guarantees in many different positions. He's an interesting player," Blanc said, before insisting Barcelona's reported interest in Thiago Silva would come to nothing.
"I spoke to Thiago Silva on the phone [on Tuesday],” he added. “He's fully committed to the PSG project. We're preparing an individual training programme for him. I felt that he was committed.”