Bristol City
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018

Hot List: Pizarro in line for call-up

Mexico

PSG sign free agent Lassana Diarra

Weir relishing Blades opportunity

David Weir has described his new job as Sheffield United manager as "a great opportunity" after leaving his role as reserve team coach at Everton.

Weir, who has signed a three-year contract at Bramall Lane, is set to give his first press conference as boss of the League One club on Tuesday.

The 43-year-old former centre-back, who played for Everton between 1999 and 2007, had been on the coaching staff at Goodison Park since February 2012.

He told Sheffield United's official website: "My first thoughts about the job are of excitement. I understand how privileged I am to be named manager of a fantastic football club like Sheffield United.

"I realise what a great opportunity is in front of me now, and my message to the supporters is that I will work hard and give everything to be successful at Bramall Lane.

"I honestly can't wait to get started and get a real feel for the club, then obviously I am eager to get organised for when the players return for pre-season training later this month."

United had been searching for a permanent manager since the departure of Danny Wilson on April 10.

Wilson left the club after a run of two wins in eight games effectively ended their chances of automatic promotion. They went on to lose to Yeovil in the League One play-off semi-finals.

Comments