Monaco signs Ricardo Carvalho
MONACO -- Monaco says Portuguese defender Ricardo Carvalho has joined the club from Real Madrid on a free transfer, signing a one-year contract with the big-spending promoted club for next season.
Carvalho signed a one-year contract Tuesday, saying "I'm very happy to join Monaco and participate in this new adventure. It's a new challenge for me."
The 35-year-old Carvalho won the Premier League with Chelsea and the Spanish league with Real Madrid.
Last week, Monaco signed Portugal midfielders James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho from FC Porto for a combined 70 million euros ($90,125,000).
The Mediterranean club was promoted to the topflight French league after winning the second division this season.
There is widespread speculation prolific Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao will be the next star to join Claudio Ranieri's squad as the big-spending club plot an immediate assault on the Ligue 1 title.
According to reports in Spain, Falcao was due in Monaco on Tuesday for negotiations ahead of what could be 60 million euros (77,250,000) move.
If the transfer does go through, then Falcao would follow in the footsteps of former Porto teammates Moutinho and Rodriguez, with the latter relishing the chance to play alongside the 27-year-old once more.
"Obviously [it's good]. I've already played with him and now we're going to be together again, that's also going to be good," Rodriguez told Colombian newspaper El Tiempo.
"I'm proud to be with a friend, hopefully we can achieve great things."
Information from The Associated Press and Press Association was used in this report.