Andrea Stramaccioni has been sacked as Inter Milan coach after a difficult campaign that saw them fail to qualify for Europe for the first time in 15 seasons, with former Napoli boss Walter Mazzarri brought in as his replacement.
Earlier on Friday, Sky Sport Italia reported that Stramaccioni had been told he would be dismissed in a telephone call from technical director Marco Branca.
The 37-year-old had been Inter coach since last March, and his contract had been due to expire in 2015. On Friday evening, Inter issued a statement confirming his departure.
Mazzarri, who last weekend confirmed that he would not be staying at Napoli, has been announced as Stramaccioni's successor.
A statement published on read: "Inter would like to communicate that they have reached an agreement with Walter Mazzarri - the new coach of Inter.
"Inter thank Andrea Stramaccioni for his great efforts and the professionalism he showed in a particularly difficult year. The agreement with Walter Mazzarri will last for two years."
Inter were beaten 16 times in Serie A this season as they finished ninth in the table, leaving them without a European place for the first time in 15 seasons.
On Wednesday, Inter president Massimo Moratti said he was "reflecting" on Stramaccioni's position at the club.
Despite recently backing the under-fire coach and telling the club's official website he had "no doubts" about him, Moratti said he was considering life without the 37-year-old.
"I don't like to say that it's the end of an era, but we are having another look at the recent events," he told reporters. "Have I changed my mind over the coach? It's not that I've changed my mind, but we are reflecting so that we can understand what is best for Inter."
But Moratti refused to confirm or deny increasing speculation linking Mazzarri with the post, explaining: "Mazzarri? All coaches are good, but then they have to work at Inter, which is a different thing."