Nasri regrets Euro 2012 journalist insult
Samir Nasri has told French TV that he was "stupid" to have insulted a journalist at Euro 2012, provoking a near year-long exile from international football for the Manchester City midfielder.
Nasri, 25, was handed a three-match ban by the French Football Federation (FFF) last summer after losing his temper with a journalist following France's quarter-final defeat to Spain.
However, the former Arsenal man, who had also been seen shouting "shut your mouth" to another journalist after scoring against England earlier in the tournament, only returned to the France squad last week when he was selected by Didier Deschamps for this summer's friendly double-header in South America.
"I was stupid to react to the journalist's provocation, and to have gone too far with my words. And above all, my biggest mistake was to wait eight months to apologise," Nasri told TF1, before admitting he was relieved to be back with Les Bleus.
"Honestly, I was very happy. I'd missed the French national team."
Upon recalling Nasri, Deschamps suggested that he wanted to form his own views on the player.
"It'll give me the chance to talk face-to-face with him," the French national team boss said last Thursday. "There comes a time when I need answers to take a clear position."
France will face Uruguay on June 5, before playing Brazil four days later.