Liverpool and England winger Raheem Sterling has had an assault case against him dropped after key witnesses failed to turn up in court.
Sterling was charged with common assault over an alleged incident in the Toxteth area of the city on November 2 last year.
The 18-year-old, who denied the charge, was scheduled to appear at Liverpool and Knowsley Magistrates' Court on Monday morning.
However, the case was dismissed when prosecutor Rob Jones failed to present any evidence.
Sterling, accompanied by his girlfriend Shana Halliday and Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, waited in a car near the court as efforts were made to contact witnesses.
But Mr Jones told the court that those witnesses could not be reached, and that he would formally offer no evidence against Sterling.
A Liverpool spokesman said that the club would not be releasing a statement, as the incident was a personal matter.
Rodgers is understood to have accompanied Sterling in a personal capacity to offer support.