Suspended Arnautovic blames media
Suspended Werder Bremen attacker Marko Arnautovic has said he believes he is the victim of a media campaign against him.
Speaking to Austrian outlet news.at on Thursday, Austria international Arnautovic said: "When I drop a lighter and the media sees it, it is written up as an explosion. Mountains are made out of molehills.
"People bad-mouth me. That hurts. Nothing against the police, but they succeeded in tearing me apart."
Arnautovic claimed that, if somebody else had been in the car, things would have turned out differently. "We want to destroy Arnautovic, we kick him because that is fun," he said. "Everybody gets a kick out of it."
He then compared himself with former Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli, saying: "He also has a bad image and still only plays for top clubs regardless. His coaches look at his sporting qualities."
Speaking to the press on Thursday, Bremen general manager Thomas Eichin said he did not want to make Arnautovic a scapegoat, while coach Thomas Schaaf warned people not to "pass the buck for what has been negative this season" to the two suspended players.