Monaco are reportedly chasing Italy forward striker Antonio Cassano as the Ligue 2 champions-elect prepare to make a major assault on the French top flight next season.
Italian TV channel Sky Sport 24 reported that Cassano, 30, is Monaco's top target to strengthen their forward line as they aim to return to Ligue 1 with a bang after a two-season absence.
The well-travelled forward, who joined Inter last summer from neighbours AC Milan, has scored seven times in 27 Serie A appearances for the Nerazzurri but was involved in a well-publicised bust-up with coach Andrea Stramaccioni last month.
With ambitious Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, 46, now Monaco president and owner, the club has the means to return to the heights they scaled when they reached the 2003-04 Champions League final.
Former Monaco goalkeeper Jean-Luc Ettori, 57, told RMC that Claudio Ranieri's men, who will clinch promotion if they secure victory at home to Caen on Saturday, will hope to push Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain in the coming years.
"I think next year will be a little too soon. We'll see how much the president wants to put in, and what the ambitions of the club are," Ettori, who holds Ligue 1's all-time appearance record after 602 top-flight games for the principality club, said. "I hope Monaco will worry PSG next season, even if you mustn't push things too quickly. That's what everyone who loves Monaco hopes for."