PFA chief backs Suarez ban
The Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has supported the FA's decision to ban Luis Suarez for ten matches following the Liverpool striker's bite on Branislav Ivanovic.
Ian Ayre:"Both the club & player are shocked & disappointed at the severity oftoday's Independent Regulatory Commission decision." #LFC
• Walsh: Suarez wrong, so is FA's judgement
• Brewin: Harsh but fair Suarez, 26, has been given until noon on Friday to appeal against the violent conduct charge and is expected to contest his suspension after previously disagreeing that a three-match ban would have been insufficient. Taylor does not believe the punishment is too harsh and has encouraged the FA to continue taking a strong stance against violence and racism. "I think there is a twin approach. There is a sanction but also an education, to make sure it doesn't happen again," he said. "The deterrent sends out a strong message, but what I'd like to re-emphasise is trying to get a player, in this case Luis Suarez, back on track and make sure there is a proper programme of counselling. "There is a sports psychologist at Liverpool. You hope there will be a renewed effort to improve matters in the future." Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson told BBC Radio 5 Live he believes Liverpool have a chance of reducing the ban to eight matches and said it would be foolish for the club to sell Suarez despite his latest indiscretion. "I think they will appeal and might get it to eight," Lawrenson said. "He's now becoming a constant offender. There's probably a sheet of A4 paper with all his offences over his career. "He needs to learn quickly. It's distracting for everyone. Even if it gets reduced to eight, that's 20% of the season. Liverpool are going to have to make a decision on his future. "He and Ivanovic had a few niggles before the incident but nothing really seriously untoward. Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard said maybe he needs some help - he obviously does. "At the moment, it's to the detriment of the football club. You wonder what he will do next. It [Suarez leaving Liverpool] is a possibility. But any business where you have an asset worth £30m or £40m, nobody is going to sack him." Liverpool's managing director, Ian Ayre, confirmed the club would "await the written reasons" for Suarez' punishment before making a decision on whether to appeal.
Ian Ayre:"Both the club & player are shocked & disappointed at the severity oftoday's Independent Regulatory Commission decision." #LFC— Liverpool FC(@LFC) April 24, 2013