Paris Saint-Germain director of football Leonardo has played down links to a summer move for Wayne Rooney but refused to rule out big-name arrivals at the Parc des Princes this summer.
Rooney, 27, has been the subject of speculation since former PSG sports advisor Michel Moulin claimed the move was a done deal on Sunday.
Major investment from the Ligue 1 club’s Qatari owners has seen them bring in a number of top stars including Zlatan Ibrahimovic, David Beckham and Lucas Moura.
In an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport, Leonardo said that PSG were looking to add to their squad again this summer in order to help them sustain a challenge domestically and in the Champions League but reports of interest in Cristiano Ronaldo, Edinson Cavani and Rooney were wide of the mark.
“On Ronaldo, there has never been an offer,” he said. “I've never heard anything about (Wayne) Rooney or (Edinson) Cavani either. I do not rule out big signings, but only if there is a suitable opportunity.
“We do want a larger squad with adequate cover in all areas in order to avoid the sort of problems we had in January in midfield with all the injuries and suspensions.”
Former AC Milan and Inter Milan coach Leonardo has previously guided PSG to purchase players from Serie A including Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Thiago Motta.
However, he is now keen to introduce more of a Gallic presence into the squad, admitting an interest in some current French internationals.
“The market is opening up,” he said. “We may look in Spain or England. The idea of seeing the great French players here is something I like.
"I'm not necessarily talking about Benzema, but maybe (Samir) Nasri, (Franck) Ribery or (Yohan) Cabaye. But I do not know if it is feasible and I have not had contact with any of them.”
PSG boss Carlo Ancelotti added to L'Equipe: "Wayne Rooney is one of the best strikers in the world. I think he is impossible to buy. He is an idol for Manchester United."