Previous
Wellington Phoenix FC
Western Sydney Wanderers
6:00 AM GMT
Game Details
Melbourne Victory
Newcastle Jets
1
0
FT
Game Details
Hibernian
Rangers
12:15 PM GMT
Game Details
Celtic
Ross County
3:00 PM GMT
Game Details
St Johnstone
Dundee United
3:00 PM GMT
Game Details
Standard Liege
KSC Lokeren
5:00 PM GMT
Game Details
Next

Alarm bells sounding for Everton

Everton
Read
By ESPN Staff

Sydney FC release six players

Sydney FC have released six players, including defender Adam Griffiths, as coach Frank Farina begins rebuilding his squad in the wake of a disappointing A-League season.

The club confirmed on Thursday it would not be renewing the contracts of Griffiths, fellow defenders Nathan Sherlock and Trent McClenahan, while forwards Kruno Lovrek and Jarrod Kyle were also let go along with midfielder Paul Reid.

Griffiths was a regular starter since joining Sydney FC this season, making 18 appearances in the side's troubled defence.

Sherlock, on the other hand, never had the chance to make a real impact featuring in only eight games since joining the side two years ago.

Croatian import Lovrek had not played a match since Sydney's 7-2 drubbing at the hands of Central Coast in round five, while Reid and McClenahan made the most of their handful of appearances off the bench.

Kyle's stint was even more short-lived, however, having never played a game since joining the club in the January transfer window.

The Sky Blues missed a finals berth after a 3-1 loss to Brisbane last month allowed the Roar and Perth to climb above them on the ladder.

The loss brought the curtain down on Alessandro Del Piero's first A-League season and left Farina with some tough decisions to make with nine players coming off contract.

But there are more decisions to make with Lucas Neill's guest-player stint and Tiago Calvano's injury replacement contract to expire at the end of the month, as does the loan deal of Panamanian forward Yairo Yau.

Farina admitted it was tough to let players go but said it was important the club began a restructure.

"It's an unfortunate part of football but we have decided not to offer new contracts to six players," Farina said in a brief statement on Thursday.

"We have started the process of re-shaping the squad for the 2013/14 season and we need to make some tough decisions to allow ourselves the opportunity to do that.

"We are excited about some of the options before us and we are confident we can put together a squad the fans can be proud of."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.