Brest have appointed sporting director Corentin Martins as temporary coach after other managers were reported to have turned down the job.
The club slipped into Ligue 1's bottom three after losing at home to Lille last weekend - their third successive league defeat.
The result prompted the exit of Landry Chauvin, 44, as coach. After an unsuccessful search for a replacement, which L'Equipe reported included a rejection by former Rennes and PSG coach Guy Lacombe, the board opted to appoint 43-year-old Martins.
"I wasn't a candidate for the post at the outset," Martins explained. "We tried to work on bringing in some coaches.
"Some we rejected, others turned down the job, so the board asked me to take on the role. I look to the future, and all that interests me is keeping Brest in Ligue 1."
The former France international made the same move last April when Alex Dupont was relieved of his duties with the team in trouble. He kept the club in the top flight, and said he believed he could do so again.
"Just as it was last year, it's not an easy task," Martins, whose team are two points adrift of safety, said.
"But I love the club, and I have faith the players can get us going again and pick up the maximum number of points."
He must attempt to steer the club away from danger against the backdrop of an ongoing row between president Michel Guyot and vice-president and majority shareholder Yvon Kermarec.
Kermarec, frequently criticised in the press by Guyot recently, has called for an extraordinary general meeting with a view to supplanting him at the head of the club.
L'Equipe reported on Thursday that relations between the two men are so strained that Kermarec will no longer take Guyot's calls.