Sydney FC
12:00 AM UTC May 26, 2016
Philadelphia Union
11:30 PM UTC May 25, 2016

Euro 2016 full squad lists

Euro 2016

Mandzukic: I know how Gomez feels

Bayern Munich forward Mario Mandzukic says he can sympathise with Mario Gomez over his lack of first-team opportunities.

• Blog: It's Bayern a pleasure

Gomez scored 41 goals in 52 games last season, but in the current campaign he has featured in only 14 games, scoring five goals.

The Germany international, who missed the first part of the season with an ankle injury, had hoped to win his place back after the winter break, but the form of summer signing Mandzukic - with 18 goals in 26 games this season - has ensured his game-time has remained minimal.

Mandzukic, who scored his first Champions League goal of the season in the 3-1 win at Arsenal on Tuesday, told the media: "I would be delighted if we could all play. I know how he feels, but what can I do about it? I don't pick the team."

Bayern host Werder Bremen in the league this weekend before taking on German champions Borussia Dortmund in the quarter-finals of the DFB-Pokal on Wednesday.

With Bayern currently 15 points clear at the top of the Bundesliga, Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes has hinted that he may rest players on Saturday ahead of the cup encounter, which could afford Gomez the chance to start.

"I don't know [if Gomez will play]. The boss makes the call," Mandzukic added. "I take it as it comes."

Asked if he would offer to sit on the bench, he replied: "No player does that!"

Comments