Culina career in limbo after Sydney exit
Jason Culina's career is in limbo after departing Sydney FC just days after a heated disagreement at training with coach Frank Farina.
Culina bravely fought his way back from a long-term injury to earn a spot with the Sky Blues for this A-League season.
But the former Socceroo's contract with the club was terminated on Monday in the aftermath of an angry clash last week with Farina on the training pitch.
It is understood 32-year-old Culina spat the dummy after being asked by Farina to play for the seconds' side in a training drill.
The midfielder was not chosen for Sunday's 2-1 win over Brisbane and after the game Farina said Culina was unlikely to play for Sydney again.
"I would like to thank Sydney FC for assisting me with my rehabilitation and my return to football," Culina said in a statement on Monday.
"I would like to thank the board, management, coaching staff, players and especially physiotherapist Stan Ivancic.
"The circumstances surrounding my departure are unfortunate but I feel fit and strong and I am determined to continue my playing career."
Culina made eight appearances for the Sky Blues, scoring two goals.
Sydney FC chief executive Tony Pignata said the decision had been made following contact with Culina's management.
"Sydney FC has this afternoon agreed to mutually terminate the contract of Jason Culina," Pignata said.
"We would like to wish Jason the best of luck with the rest of his football career."
Sydney FC midfielder Peter Triantis conceded Culina's exit would be a loss for the club.
"Whatever decisions are made by the board we have to follow that," said Triantis, who scored the spectacular winner in the timely victory over the defending champions Roar.
"But he is a very good bloke and he helped me a lot. It's not the best feeling."