Bristol City
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018

LIVE: Madrid could move for Courtois

Transfer Talk

Transfer Rater: Mo Salah to Real Madrid

Enrique: Rodgers criticism angered me

Liverpool defender Jose Enrique believes manager Brendan Rodgers was wrong to question his performances in the media, but did concede it spurred him on.

Enrique, along with Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing, came in for criticism earlier in the season as the Reds slipped down the Premier League standings. The former Newcastle left-back admitted to being angered by Rodgers' words, insisting he did not express his concerns in "the right way".

"When the manager said what he did, of course I was angry. It had never happened to me before and it was not good that he said his comments in the press," he told the Sunday Mirror.

"It was not nice to read what he said, but I tried to take it in a good way and do my best. I still don't think the manager did it the right way. He should have spoken to me first.

"I thought to myself, 'Okay, now I have something to prove and I must train even harder'. I didn't want to be ­finished at Liverpool. I wanted to stay here and play under the manager," he continued.

"It is true that it worked. He also said some things about Stewart Downing and ­Jordan Henderson, but all three of us are in the team now. I know I have to ­improve to keep my place."

Enrique is tipped to start for Liverpool in their clash with West Brom on Sunday afternoon.

Comments