Ferguson denies FA charge
The Football Association have confirmed that Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has denied a charge of misconduct and requested a paper hearing.
Ferguson criticised assistant referee Simon Beck's performance following the 1-1 draw with Tottenham on Sunday, January 20.
The FA said in a statement: "Sir Alex Ferguson has denied an FA charge of misconduct in relation to post-match media comments made following Manchester United's game at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday 20 January 2013.
"It is alleged the Manchester United manager breached FA Rule E3 in that he implied that the match official was motivated by bias.
"Ferguson has requested a paper hearing, the date of which will be set in due course."
Speaking after the Premier League game against Spurs, Ferguson was angered by the decision not to award United a penalty for a foul on Wayne Rooney.
He said: "It was a clear decision. And he [Beck] was 10, maybe 12 yards away from the incident and he doesn't give it. And yet he gave everything else."
Ferguson also claimed United had "history" with Beck following the official's failure to rule out a Didier Drogba goal for offside at Old Trafford in 2010, in a match that proved pivotal in that season's title race.
"There was no way we were going to get a decision from [Beck]," Ferguson continued.
Ferguson did not discuss the issue at his press conference on Friday, although last week he said he suspected the matter has become personal.
"That is what I have put in my letter exactly. But you never know the FA," he said. "We are high profile and the profile of me is such that the FA naturally panic as soon as the press criticise them.
"I think that is what you will find. That is why they have sent me a letter.Whether I think it is unfair or not doesn't matter to them really at this point. I just think it is more about me than what I have said."
Information from the Press Association was used in this report.