Change rules, says cleared Cannavaro
Paolo Cannavaro has claimed the Italian FA "ought to reconsider the rules" as he prepares to resume playing for Napoli after winning his appeal against a six-month ban for match-fixing.
Cannavaro, 31, and team-mate Gianluca Grava were suspended last month after former third-choice goalkeeper Matteo Gianello claimed to have approached them with an offer to fix the result of a game against Sampdoria in 2010.
The two defenders were suspended - but their punishments, along with the two-point deduction handed to the club, were overturned on appeal earlier this month.
Club lawyer Mattia Grassani told how the verdict from the Federal Court of Appeal came after president Aurelio De Laurentiis helped dismantle the evidence Gianello had given at the original match-fixing trial.
Cannavaro said he believed something had to change to prevent a repeat of the situation, which he said had seen him spend a "month in hell" as he waited to begin his suspension.
"We were the same players and trained with smiles on our faces, but before matchday it all became very sad for us," he told Radio Marte.
"I put up with far too much over the last few months. The important thing is that it was resolved.
"I honestly didn't think this could happen to me. I shouted and nobody listened - the authorities ought to reconsider the rules.
"Gianluca and I emerged clean from this situation, as did the club. That is our greatest satisfaction, because it could have been a huge blemish on our careers as well as a great injustice."
Cannavaro and Grava are back in the Partenopei squad for Sunday's Serie A trip to Parma.