Lambert earns backing of Lerner
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has revealed his position at the club is safe, even if his side are relegated from the Premier League this season.
Lambert has been given assurances from Randy Lerner that he will remain in charge of the club, following a trip to visit the owner in New York last week.
Lerner's backing came before the shattering Capital One Cup semi-final defeat by League Two Bradford City and what Lambert has referred to as "hate mail" from some Villa supporters in the last 48 hours.
The American's support will be tested again on Friday night, when Villa travel to Millwall for the fourth round FA Cup tie with the Championship club, but Lambert is more concerned about Villa's Premier League survival than his own future.
"I don't think 'because the chairman's said my job's safe, it doesn't matter about results'," Lambert said. "I still feel like c**p. He told me that it was safe just the other day.
"You still worry like hell about things and you still have that sick feeling in your stomach. I don't go home and think 'that's alright, it's great' and switch off.
"You always used to blame yourself as a footballer and think about what you could do better, as a manager you can tenfold that, as everything's on you."
Lambert has been lifted by the reassurances, following a run in which Villa have taken two points and conceded 20 goals in their last six Premier League matches.
He understands patience with supporters is wearing thin and added: "People are a totally different animal in the street to what they are in the stadium - where they want to kill you at times.
"Then when you meet them on the street they won't say boo to you. Generally, they have been very good. The ones that I have met have been great. Obviously, you get ones that write you a letter or two, they give you a bit. You get the odd hate mail."
Lambert does not feel he will spend big in what remains of the January window, despite relegation rivals QPR and Newcastle bringing in expensive new signings to bolster their bid to stay up.
"We have spoken to a few lads and a few teams, but the finances were way too high. Am I optimistic we could still make signings? No, not really," he said.