David Moyes insists he will not pressure Everton’s board into spending money they don’t have in the chase for Champions League qualification.
Moyes’ push for a top-four Premier League finish, which continues at Newcastle on Wednesday night, has been threatened lately by a number of injuries to key players in his squad.
Midfielder Darron Gibson is out for a month with a thigh injury sustained during the Boxing Day win over Wigan, while right-back Tony Hibbert (calf) and striker Kevin Mirallas (hamstring) are also unavailable.
Captain Phil Neville is set to be rested for the Newcastle match, having played two games in five days over Christmas after recovering from knee surgery, while Steven Pienaar (dead leg), Seamus Coleman (hamstring) and Leighton Baines (ankle) are all doubtful.
But Moyes is not planning to go to Everton’s board to beg for fortunes to strengthen his squad during the January transfer window.
“People know our situation here,” Moyes told the Liverpool Daily Post. “There’s no point me asking for something that we have not got, so I wouldn’t do it.
“We have got a squad. We are a bit unfortunate that we have got injuries but so have all clubs. So the last thing I want to be is someone who is complaining about injuries. Maybe in comparative terms, we might have a small number of injuries. But we have some injuries to key players.
“You can’t complain about having no money. If you don’t have it, that’s it. We don’t have it. If I ask you for a grand out of your pocket you can’t give me a grand. If you’ve not got it, you’ve not got it.
“I joined Everton and I knew what it was about. I have no problems. I will always keep pushing and keep asking but at the end of the day I am the manager and my job is to win the games with the players I have got.”
Moyes, though, has indicated that he will work with chief executive Robert Elstone to try to bolster his squad using the loan market in January.
“The chief exec has come out and said there is a very small amount available and that is what I am saying,” Moyes said. “We could maybe do a couple of loans if we could come up with them.”
Everton are hoping that their form in 2013 will be as impressive as in 2012, when only the two Manchester clubs picked up more Premier League points.
That run was sparked by some shrewd work by Moyes in the last January transfer window, when he brought in Gibson from Manchester United, Pienaar from Tottenham – initially on loan – and striker Nikica Jelavic from Rangers.
The club raised money for those deals by selling Diniyar Bilyaletdinov to Spartak Moscow for £5.5 million, but Moyes is not planning any sales this time around.
He said: “I was asked the same questions about money this time last year, and we then got it when we weren’t expecting it. That came up and sprung us into life. The difference is this year is that we don’t necessarily need to be sprung into life.”