Beckham unlikely to join A-League
A-League clubs will have to pull off a minor miracle if they are to land the services of David Beckham, with the soccer superstar claiming Australia is simply too far away from his business interests for him to contemplate a playing stint there.
Glory owner Tony Sage met with Beckham in London earlier this week after the pair attended the opening of Viva Forever!, a stage show based on the songs of the Spice Girls.
Perth had tabled Beckham a package worth almost $2 million for him to join the club on a 10-match guest stint.
But the 37-year-old, who was also being chased by Melbourne Heart and Central Coast, told Sage he was unlikely to join an Australian club, despite seeking a new challenge in the twilight of his career.
"I got the chance to chat to David, and of course I asked him about coming to Australia," Sage told the Football Federation Australia website.
"He looked me in the eye and basically said, 'That would be nice, but it's too far away from my businesses'.
"It would have been great to have him at Perth Glory, but it looks like that won't be happening.
"I just don't think he'll be coming to Australia, full stop."
Beckham's comments are a blow to the A-League, who were keen to add the former Manchester United hero to a star-studded list of marquees headed by Italian great Alessandro Del Piero, former England international Emile Heskey, and Japan's Shinji Ono.
Meanwhile, Perth got their season back on track with a 3-0 win over Newcastle Jets on Friday night, with a brace from Travis Dodd and a Shane Smeltz penalty lifting the Glory back into the top-six.
Glory coach Ian Ferguson praised the performance of Liam Miller, who starred through the midfield in his return from a back injury.
And in an added bonus for Perth, skipper Jacob Burns made it through the match without picking up a yellow card for the first time in seven games this season.
Glory take on Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.