More security due for 2018 World Cup
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Fan violence in Russian soccer remains "a concern" and measures including a better ticketing system and security cameras in stadiums will be introduced to ensure fans are safe during the 2018 World Cup.
Alexey Sorokin, the head of the tournament, addressed the issue Tuesday while on the sidelines of a sports conference in Dubai, saying he is "disappointed" that Russia continues to be associated with soccer violence while admitting more needs to be done to stamp out the problem.
The problem was highlighted last month when a match between Dynamo Moscow and Zenit St. Petersburg was called off after the Dynamo goalkeeper was injured by a firecracker thrown from the Zenit stands.
"We don't doubt that we can bring the security up to the level where it's absolutely safe both on the streets and inside the stadium," he said. "We are not concerned that the security system will be compromised in any way. It's something that is disappointing that somehow these things are associated with football and associated with Russian football. We will take very serious measures to avoid these things in the future."
Sorokin also struck out at critics who have suggested that Russia and 2022 World Cup host Qatar won their bids unfairly. There have never been direct allegations of wrongdoing by Russia, but the whole World Cup voting process was called into question after two members of FIFA's executive committee were suspended following a British newspaper investigation into vote-trading before the 2018 and 2022 decisions.
"We are clean and we didn't witness any hints from anyone, certainly not exco (executive committee) members or those around them, of improper activities," Sorokin said.
"There has been a lot of talk mostly about Qatar, regrettably, but us as well," he said. "If anyone had any information, any proof would be out already. It seems nobody has anything tangible. Therefore there are only suggestions, insinuations. It has to stop somewhere. If there is anything, let them show. If there is nothing, let's stop the talk about it."
Sorokin said it would have been "suicide" to denigrate another bid let alone try to buy off FIFA voters.
"It's stupid to even imagine that a bid leader or bid could openly offer money to somebody. It could be suggested by a person who has no clue about the bidding," he said. "You are afraid about making the wrong move every day in terms of FIFA ethics, general ethics. You are afraid to compare yourself to another competitor, say something wrong in the media. To make such a step that would end your bid would be suicide."