West Ham United
At. San Luis
3:06 AM UTC Jan 17, 2018
Botafogo
Portuguesa RJ

Transfer Rater: Walcott to Bournemouth

Williams and Suarez settle rift

Brendan Rodgers is confident that Swansea defender Ashley Williams and Liverpool striker Luis Suarez have sorted out their differences ahead of Sunday's Premier League clash at the Liberty Stadium.

• Whalley: Problems remain

Williams described the Uruguay international as "streets ahead of any player I've truly disliked" in an extract from his diary of last season, published this week.

The Swansea centre-back's dislike of Suarez was so strong that he claimed he wanted to "knock him out" over his diving antics.

Liverpool boss Rodgers, who was in charge at Swansea last season, called Williams after reading the comments, and the defender has since spoken to Suarez to ensure that there is no animosity between them on Sunday.

"I have spoken to Ash, and Ash has spoken with Luis, so there is no issue there," Rodgers said. "When I saw it, I was surprised because Ash is a real good man with good intelligence and maturity and a good footballer player.

"When I saw those comments, I spoke to him and got the full explanation of how it seemingly got out there. He was very quick to want to apologise for that.

"That is done. There is no problem there and I am sure they will shake hands on Sunday and get on with it."

Sunday's match will mark Rodgers' first return to the Liberty Stadium since he left to take the Liverpool job in June, although he received a frosty reception from Swansea's fans when the two sides met in the Capital One Cup at Anfield last month.

The visiting supporters chanted "we don't need you any more" as they celebrated a 3-1 victory under new boss Michael Laudrup, but Rodgers is not worried ahead of his return to south Wales.

"It is a real special place Swansea. I spent two fantastic years there and had a wonderful rapport with the supporters," he said. "The club were brilliant for me and I hope I gave them something back while I was there.

"I never said I was going to be there for many years but it took a truly unbelievable club like Liverpool to draw me away. Whatever reception I get is irrelevant, the important thing is I know the good people there and I am sure time will heal any bad thoughts."

Comments