Previous
Atletico Madrid
Malmo FF
ESPN3 6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Olympiakos
Juventus
6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Liverpool
Real Madrid
6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Ludogorets Razgrad
FC Basel
ESPN3 6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
AS Monaco
Benfica
ESPN3 6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Bayer Leverkusen
Zenit St Petersburg
ESPN3 6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Anderlecht
Arsenal
ESPN3 6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Galatasaray
Borussia Dortmund
ESPN3 6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Next

50-50: Liverpool vs. Real Madrid

Champions League 1 day ago
Read
Nov 20, 2012

Cisse dispute 'closed'

The Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) have described the situation involving striker Papiss Demba Cissé as a closed matter.

• Blog: Keep the faith

Cissé was forced to watch from the stands as Newcastle succumbed to a 2-1 defeat against Swansea on Saturday, after the FSF chose to invoke a rule banning the player for five days, for missing their mid-week friendly with Niger.

''It is a matter now closed, we wanted to mark the occasion,'' said Mbaye Diouf Dia, a member of Senegal's Football governing body to StarAfrica.com.

That is unlikely to be a view shared by his club with Newcastle releasing a statement prior to kick-off on Saturday in which they described themselves as "dismayed" and "angry".

"In accordance with FIFA regulations the club was more than happy for the player to be examined in England by a doctor of the Federation's choice in order to validate the player's medical condition," the club said.

"The federation did not take this option and instead contacted FIFA to ask them to apply the regulation that effectively prevents Papiss from playing this weekend.

"It is the opinion of the club that it is wrong and wholly unjust for a national association to behave in this manner and for FIFA to endorse their stance and automatically apply the sanction without taking into account the specific facts of the case.

"The club understands that a number of other players were withdrawn from the Senegal squad. To the best of our knowledge Papiss Cissé and Newcastle United are the only parties that the national association has sought sanctions against."

Newcastle believe that they, along with Cissé are being targeted by the FSF after withdrawing the player from this summer's Olympics - something the federation denies.

''The same sanctions were taken against Pape Diop Quli [of Levante, Spain)'' Dia said in an attempt to justify their decision.

Meanwhile the French Football Federation have denied any involvement in the injury that will see Yohan Cabaye miss up to six weeks of action.

Cabaye, 26, was called up to the France squad to face Italy in an international friendly last week, but was not included in the match-day squad with a suspected groin injury.

Alan Pardew had acknowledged the injury after the club's defeat to West Ham but the former Lille player still travelled to meet up with his national team who are now claiming they played no part in the injury he is currently suffering.

"Following a communication suggesting Yohan Cabaye was injured in training with France before Italy-France, which could result in his unavailability for several weeks," a statement released to RMC Sport said.

"The staff of the national team wishes to clarify: the Newcastle player arrived injured at Clairefontaine. He obviously has not played a single minute of France - Italy."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.