Allofs denies Wolfsburg talks
Werder Bremen general manager Klaus Allofs has rubbished rumours of leaving the club for Wolfsburg and denied he had been in contact with the club's officials.
Widespread reports throughout the German media on Thursday claimed that Allofs was to leave Bremen for a new challenge at league rivals Wolfsburg, who fired Felix Magath last month. According to Wolfsburger Allgemeine Zeitung sources a basically agreement between the two parties had already been reached, with kicker reporting that talks had already reached a final stage.
However, the 55-year-old denied the reports, telling agency dpa: "I don't have any Wolfsburg offer on the table. There have also been no talks. Therefore I don't have to deal with it."
Bremen board member Klaus-Dieter Fischer also said he had not heard about this before. "The board does not know about it. And with the relations we have, we would know about it," he told Syker Kreiszeitung. Wolfsburg have been looking for a new general manager ever since the sacking of Magath in October. Magath was the only coach in German football also responsible for the management aspect of the team.
But Wolfsburg now want to renew their structure and install a general manager, who would then work on recruiting a new first-team coach. Caretaker coach Lorenz-Gunther Kostner could be in the running for the job on a full-time basis, or otherwise return to his role with the reserves.