DC United
Montreal Impact
11:30 PM UTC
Game Details
Seattle Sounders FC
Sporting Kansas City
2:00 AM UTC Oct 28, 2016
Game Details

Shoots of recovery at Hull City

Hull City
By ESPN Staff

Foxes climb top after Cardiff slip-up

Cardiff lost top spot in the Championship with defeat away to Nottingham Forest, while new leaders Leicester came from behind to draw at Birmingham.

Forest had ended a five-game winless league run with victory over Peterborough prior to the international break and it was Andy Reid - scorer of the only goal of that game - who opened proceedings at the City Ground.

On-loan defender Daniel Ayala quickly added a second goal to give the hosts a 2-0 half-time lead and Forest made sure of all three points shortly after the restart when Billy Sharp scored his first goal for the club since arriving on loan from Southampton seven weeks ago.

Heidar Helguson pulled a goal back for Cardiff midway through the second half, but despite Forest finishing the game with 10 men following Adlene Guedioura's red card for two bookable offences, they were unable to make any more inroads.

It meant back-to-back league victories for Forest for the first time this season, halting Cardiff's three-match winning run.

Leicester climbed to the top of the table despite seeing their five-match winning sequence brought to a halt, substitute Ben Marshall's late strike salvaging a deserved point from an entertaining encounter at Birmingham.

The Foxes, who have now moved to the top of the table on goal difference, were aiming to record a sixth successive league win for the first time since a club-record equalling seven in 1993. And the visitors' first-half display certainly deserved just that but they found England prodigy Jack Butland in superb form while Martyn Waghorn also blazed over a golden opportunity from close range, much to the dismay of 4,000 travelling supporters.

Birmingham, second best, duly capitalised against the run of the play in first-half injury time as Lovenkrands converted a great cross from Marlon King for his third goal of the season.

Lowly Blues subsequently found a new-found confidence amid a quieter second half, but Leicester - who looked set to draw a blank for the first time this season - drew level in the 86th minute when Marshall's 30-yard effort crossed the line off the inside of a post. To make matters worse for Birmingham, Jonathan Spector was given his marching orders in injury time.

Huddersfield are up to third thanks to a fifth win in seven games, this time a 2-1 victory over Wolves. James Vaughan opened the scoring with his third of the season in the 10th minute before a Jermaine Beckford volley made it two on 27 minute, and the Terriers held on despite Sylvan Ebanks-Blake pulling one back in the 63rd minute.

Fourth-placed Crystal Palace were held to a 2-2 draw in a tempestuous clash with Millwall that produced 10 yellow cards and one red.

The red went to Dean Moxey, who had already been booked, for a deliberate handball in the 42nd minute that allowed Liam Trotter to reduce Millwall's arrears from the penalty spot after Mile Jedinak (35) and Damien Delaney (39) had put Palace in control. The Lions had to wait until the 77th minute to equalise, Mark Beevers finding the top corner.

Hull climbed into the play-off places thanks to a last-gasp 2-1 win over struggling Ipswich courtesy of a brace from Nick Proschwitz, the second three minutes into injury time. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas had given Ipswich the lead in the 29th minute.

Middlesbrough are level on 19 points with Hull after Marvin Emnes earned them a 1-0 victory at Brighton courtesy of a 21st-minute strike.

The comeback of the day came at the Reebok Stadium where managerless Bolton fought back from 2-0 down to defeat Bristol City 3-2.

Steven Davies put the visitors two up with an early brace, one from the penalty spot, but Chris Eagles pulled one back in the 31st minute and Jay Spearing levelled matters 62 minutes in. Bolton then got the winner they craved eight minutes from time through Martin Petrov to begin life without Owen Coyle in fine style.

Blackburn, who are also without a manager, thought Jordan Rhodes' goal in the 34th minute would be enough for victory over Derby but Theo Robinson levelled two minutes from time to make it 1-1.

It was another disappointing day for bottom side Peterborough, who held out until the 90th minute against Watford before Matej Vydra netted a penalty in a 1-0 win.

Barnsley managed their first win in four games, Tomasz Cywka scoring in the 64th minute to earn a 1-0 victory over Charlton.

Charlie Austin took his season's tally to 16 goals to secure a 1-0 win for Burnley against Blackpool in Terry Pashley's first game in temporary charge of the Clarets.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.