Toulouse

McGeady frustrates in Everton draw

Everton 10 hours ago

Cobos: Neymar stronger in 2014-15

Barcelona 19 hours ago
Oct 10, 2012

Sagna nearing return

Bacary Sagna wants to return from injury stronger than ever for Arsenal, but he is refusing to put a date on his comeback.

• Burton: Wilshere on right path

The Frenchman is recovering from the second leg-break of his career, suffered in Arsenal's final game of last season. He played most of an Under-21 game against Reading earlier in the week prompting suggestions that he is close to a first-team return, but he remains cautious.

"When you have such a big injury once, you take it, but twice is hard," he told the club's official website. "In my mind I was a bit sad, but the next day I was ready for the challenge, which was to come back stronger and I am in a good way today.

"I spent some time in the rehab centre, then I came back and worked really hard with the fitness coach and the physios to be ready to play - and finally I have. I don't have any target - my only aim is to be ready and bring what I can to my team, to give 100%, like always."

During his absence young defender Carl Jenkinson has been given the opportunity to stake a claim for a place in the Arsenal side, and Sagna has been impressed by the way the former Charlton right-back has developed.

"He has been really good, and has learned a lot," he added. "He is a bit more confident with the ball, and is very solid as a defender. He brings a lot to the team, and I am very happy for him because he is a hard worker, a very good guy and is going to be one of the best."

Sagna is hopeful that the Gunners can maintain their promising early season form which has seen them lose just one of their opening seven fixtures. And he believes a title challenge is not out of the question if they continue the way they have started.

"We have been solid," he said. "I think we can win the league - we have to take it step by step, but we have the quality necessary to play until the end of the season and win."

Comments