Bristol City
Sampdoria
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018

LIVE: Madrid could move for Courtois

Transfer Talk

Transfer Rater: Mo Salah to Real Madrid

Ballack wants to gain coaching badge

Michael Ballack has said his first goal after retiring from professional football last week is to gain a German coaching license.

Ballack, 36, said he wanted to obtain the qualification but added that only time would tell if he eventually took up a career in coaching.

The former Germany captain told Express the decision to put an end to his playing career had not been a difficult one, explaining: "Despite a few offers, I was lacking the motivation to continue.

"I have a family, three boys, with whom I can spend more time. I want to relish that now.

"I can tell you I don't miss a thing. For 17 years, I played at the highest level. I was on the lucky side of life. I was able to turn my hobby into my profession, and I am thankful for that. But I have other interests beside football, and I can devote my time to them now."

Ballack's Germany career came to an end after he missed the 2010 World Cup after being injured by a Kevin Prince-Boateng challenge while playing for Chelsea in that year's FA Cup final.

Although he made 98 appearances for Germany, the German FA (DFB) denied him a farewell match, and he said: "I would have loved to have had a farewell match, and would have wanted the DFB to make that offer. But certain people did not plan that for me. I have to accept that."

Ballack was instead offered the chance to be part of the squad for a final time when they took on Brazil in summer 2011, but explained: "Under the given circumstances at that time, it felt like charity. I did not want that.

"But I'd like to say goodbye to my fans in an appropriate way. Yes, I would like a Ballack farewell match."

Comments