USA Under-17 international Junior Flores has claimed he has signed for Borussia Dortmund, but the German champions have denied that a deal has been done.
Flores, 16, has been monitored by several European teams, including Paris Saint-Germain and Liverpool, since impressing in the Nike International Friendlies tournament last year.
The Washington Post reported on Thursday that Dortmund had wrapped up a deal for the youngster, after speaking to the player's father.
"We're so happy about the Dortmund deal. We still don't believe it's really happening," Oscar Flores said.
However, by the time the news had made its way across the Atlantic to Germany, Dortmund's director of football Michael Zorc was quick to refute the claim that a deal had been finalised.
"We know him, he is an interesting boy. But there is no contractual relation", Zorc told Ruhr Nachrichten.
The confusion did not stop there though, as Flores took to his Twitter account to reassure his followers that the move had in fact gone ahead.
"I actually did sign with Dortmund and couldn't be any happier", he tweeted.
The reported four-year deal would not go into effect until March 2014, when Flores turns 18 and is eligible to begin his pro career.
Flores is an attacking midfielder currently is in his second year of full-time residency with the USA Under-17 program in Bradenton.