Previous
Crystal Palace
Liverpool
3
1
FT
Game Details
Hull City
Tottenham Hotspur
1
1
LIVE 74'
Game Details
Napoli
Cagliari
3
3
FT
Game Details
AC Milan
Internazionale
7:45 PM GMT
Game Details
New York Red Bulls
New England Revolution
6:30 PM GMT
Leg 1
Game Details
Los Angeles Galaxy
Seattle Sounders FC
ESPN 10:00 PM GMT
Leg 1
Game Details
Marseille
Bordeaux
8:00 PM GMT
Game Details
Next

Brewin: Reds crash again at Palace

The Match about an hour ago
Read

Serie A heavyweights head-to-head

50-50 Challenge 2 days ago
Read
Oct 1, 2012

Sundowns coach Neeskens attacked

Mamelodi Sundowns coach Johan Neeskens has said he will not quit his job at the South African club despite being attacked by fans after a defeat to Moroka Swallows.

The attack came less than a month after Neeskens had needed a police escort following an earlier league setback.

The loss to Moroka Swallows - a fourth league defeat of the season - sparked a pitch invasion. Missiles were thrown and the dugouts knocked over, and supporters breached security to reach Neeskens in the tunnel.

Pictures emerged showing the coach, twice a World Cup runner-up with Netherlands, covering his head with his hands in an attempt to shield himself from blows.

The attack happened despite policemen flanking him on both sides. Police and security forces were able to regain control and escort him out of the ground.

The situation at Sundowns is dire, despite the wealth of owner Patrice Motsepe, a mining billionaire described by some as "the Roman Abramovich of Africa".

They languish third from the bottom of the table and have not won a match since the first day of the season in early August.

The Sundowns have not won the league since 2006-07 season, and they have been through four coaches since then. The first of them, Frenchmen Henri Michel, resigned after a year in charge when an angry mob demanded he quit.

Neeskens, however, has vowed not to be hounded out. "This problem is for the club and the players ... pressure will always be there, but I can handle it," he said.

South Africa's Premier Soccer League administration has expressed disappointment at the violence.

The organisation's acting chief executive, Cambridge Mokanyane, called it "unacceptable," and said it "cannot be tolerated."

He reiterated that the safety of players and fans was the league's "utmost priority", but did not say anything about the wellbeing of coaches.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.