Ferguson: England recall unlikely for Rio
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson does not believe that Rio Ferdinand will get a recall to the England squad, following the retirement of John Terry.
Terry, 31, ended his England career on Sunday after believing his position had been made "untenable" by the FA hearing that eventually found him guilty of racially abusing Ferdinand's brother, Anton.
The Chelsea skipper's absence from the centre of Roy Hodgson's Three Lions defence has left many suggesting that Ferdinand, who was left out of England's Euro 2012 squad due to "footballing reasons", should get a recall.
However, the 33-year-old's club boss Ferguson doubts that Hodgson will go back on his initial decision on the defender.
"I wouldn't think he will get called up,'' Ferguson said. "Roy Hodgson made his decision before the European Championships and I can't see him changing that.
"It would be difficult for him now to go back to Rio Ferdinand and welcome him back.''
Ferdinand has stated in the past that he would never turn his back on England, even if privately he believed his international career was as good as over.
"You never know,'' Ferguson added. "But I think it's difficult. I don't know if Rio would do it - I haven't asked him.''
Terry was given a four-match ban by the FA and fined £220,000 but the United manager thinks he was lucky with his punishment and got off lightly, especially when Liverpool's Luis Suarez was banned for eight games for a similar offence last season.
The Chelsea captain, who is awaiting the written findings from the four-day independent regulatory commission hearing, may decided to appeal, although Ferguson feels Terry should think twice before deciding to prolong the matter.
"There is a danger of it resurrecting itself because it has been going on so long,'' Ferguson said. "But the fact he got a four-game ban, he may consider that is quite lenient considering Luis Suarez got eight. It is time to move on and so should the game.''