Manchester United
Burton Albion
Game Details
Doncaster Rovers
Game Details
Nottingham Forest
Game Details
West Bromwich Albion
Manchester City
Game Details
Real Madrid
Real Betis
8:00 PM UTC
Game Details
Athletic Bilbao
Atletico Madrid
Game Details
Hamburg SV
Borussia Dortmund
LIVE 23'
Game Details
AS Roma
Game Details
AC Milan
Game Details
By ESPN Staff

Man City crash out to Villa

Aston Villa shocked Manchester City 4-2 at Eastlands to move into the fourth round of the Capital One Cup.

• Jolly: City self-destruct
• Delaney: West Ham hammered
• Capital One Cup Gallery Photo Gallery

Mario Balotelli put the Premier League champions into the lead on 27 minutes with his first goal of the season, but Villa were level just before the hour when their former player, Gareth Barry put through his own net.

City fans only had to wait five minutes to get back into the lead, as Aleksandar Kolarov scored with a free-kick. Villa were soon on equal terms as Gabriel Agbonlahor netted his first goal since January to send the tie into extra-time.

Despite heavy City pressure it was Villa who found a way through, Charles N'Zogbia and another from Agbonlahor sending the Villans home victorious.

Leeds claimed a significant scalp as they held off late pressure from Everton to win 2-1 at Elland Road.

Neil Warnock's side made an ideal start to the game with a fine individual effort by Aidan White, the midfielder weaving his way through the visiting defence before unleashing a fierce drive into the net in just the fourth minute.

David Moyes could have been critical of his side's defending for that goal but would have been even less impressed as the hosts doubled their lead with 20 minutes remaining.

A free-kick from the left of the area found an unmarked Danny Pugh whose shot was backheeled in by Rodolph Austin.

Everton clawed their way back into the game with nine minutes remaining when Victor Anichebe's cross into the box found Sylvain Distin whose header looped into the net, but they could not muster an equaliser.

Compared to the excitement in West Yorkshire, all that was in doubt at Stamford Bridge was the number of goals Chelsea would score as they hammered Wolves 6-0.

The writing was on the wall for the Championship side as they were three goals down within 17 minutes thanks to strikes by Gary Cahill, Ryan Bertrand and Juan Mata. An Oriol Romeu penalty (53), Fernando Torres (58) and Victor Moses (71) saw the Blues ease to the next round.

Two moments of individual magic proved enough for 10-man Sunderland to see off a spirited MK Dons side at Stadium:mk 2-0.

The game lacked quality for large periods but two second-half goals, a fantastic Craig Gardner free-kick and a well-taken solo effort from James McClean, secured safe passage for Sunderland.

Wigan enjoyed an emphatic 4-1 victory at West Ham. There was little sign of what was to come when Modibo Maiga gave the Hammers an early lead. Two goals by Mauro Boselli, an Ivan Ramis strike and a Jordi Gomez penalty eased Roberto Martinez's side through.

A last-minute goal by Garry Monk saw Swansea secure a hard-earned 3-2 win at Crawley. The Premier League side went ahead through a fierce Miguel Michu shot after 27 minutes before the hosts levelled through Josh Simpson just before half-time.

The League One team then took the lead thanks to Hope Akpan 17 minutes into the second half, only for the Swans to equalise 12 minutes later through Danny Graham's close-range header.

With extra-time looming, Crawley were just found wanting as Monk headed home Wayne Routledge's corner.

Jay Rodriguez scored in the 30th minute and with a penalty 12 minutes from time as Southampton beat Championship side Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 at St Mary's.

League One Swindon moved into the fourth round with a 3-1 win over Championship Burnley. Paul Benson (19) and Andy Williams (42) gave the Robins a 2-0 half-time lead. Although Charlie Austin pulled one back (74), Troy Archibald-Henville sealed the win with seven minutes remaining.

Middlesbrough beat Preston 3-1 at Deepdale. Two goals up after 18 minutes through Emmanuel Ledesma and Marouane Zemmama, Boro were then put under some pressure when Jack King scored for the Lilywhites five minutes before the break.

However, Richard Smallwood put the tie beyond their reach with half an hour left.

Stephen Darby fired Bradford into the last 16 for the first time in 24 years with a goal five minutes from the end of extra-time to crown a dramatic 3-2 comeback against Burton Albion.

Earlier, two goals in the last six minutes by Bradford's Bermuda international striker Nahki Wells sent the tie into extra-time after the visitors had led 2-0 through Billy Kee and Aaron Webster.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.