Previous
Wellington Phoenix FC
Western Sydney Wanderers
0
0
LIVE 0'
Game Details
Melbourne Victory
Newcastle Jets
1
0
FT
Game Details
Hibernian
Rangers
4
0
FT
Game Details
Celtic
Ross County
0
0
FT
Game Details
St Johnstone
Dundee United
2
1
FT
Game Details
Standard Liege
KSC Lokeren
2
0
FT
Game Details
Next

John Terry hearing to extend to 3rd day

John Terry's hearing is expected to go into a third day as the Chelsea skipper contests a charge of using racist language.

Terry is facing an FA independent regulatory hearing into a charge that he used a racist slur towards QPR's Anton Ferdinand in October last year.

The 31-year-old was accompanied by Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck at the hearing at Wembley Stadium on Tuesday morning, and the defender departed shortly after 1 p.m.

He is expected to return on Wednesday to hear evidence in his favor -- with teammate Ashley Cole possibly called upon again to testify.

Cole gave evidence that helped exonerate Terry in his Westminster Magistrates Court case in July related to the same incident.

Meanwhile, former Chelsea coach Ray Wilkins, who also testified on the Blues defender's behalf in court, has said he is prepared to go to the FA hearing to support Terry, who announced his international retirement on Sunday.

"I called John immediately after his decision to resign from the England team to see how he is. We didn't talk about my attendance at the FA hearing, but I am there for him if he needs me, Wilkins told ESPN.

The Press Association is reporting that England manager Roy Hodgson tried unsuccessfully to persuade Terry to change his decision to retire from international soccer.

According to the report, Hodgson tried to persuade Terry to stay with the national team but Terry -- who denies the charge -- was adamant it was "untenable" for him to play for England with the FA pursuing the case.

Hodgson released a statement saying he "reluctantly accepts" Terry's choice.

Terry effectively accused the FA of forcing his hand after they pursued charges despite him being cleared in court of a racially-aggravated public order offense over the same incident last October.

FA general secretary Alex Horne denied this, however, telling Sky Sports News: "I don't see how we've made it untenable -- they're two very separate processes."

Information from the Press Association was used in this report.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.