Huntelaar contract talks at standstill
Contract talks between Schalke and last season's Bundesliga top scorer Klaas-Jan Huntelaar have almost ground to a halt, Schalke director of football Horst Heldt has said.
Huntelar, 29, is in the final year of his contract with Schalke and is reported to be keen to take his time to decide where to sign what is likely to be his last big contract.
Earlier this week, the Netherlands international striker had told kicker magazine that he could make his decision as late as the winter break.
Heldt, also speaking to the magazine, said both the club and the player were happy with that, adding: "We have agreed upon this. I think that is okay and it is understandable - Klaas wants to take his time.
"We will continue to work on extending his contract, but also have the responsibility to provide for all contingencies. Time is not running away. As I said, we will be prepared, and in theory we have time until next summer."
Schalke face Bayern Munich at home in the Bundesliga's big match on Saturday, with Schalke looking to improve on a record of only one win against the Bavarians in their last seven home meetings.
Both teams are unbeaten in the Bundesliga this season, and Heldt said: "You should not fear any opponent, but it is important to maintain respect.
"It is important to know about the strength, and also about the weak spots, of every opponent and act accordingly on the pitch. Bayern's weak spot is they are also only allowed 11 players. Seriously, you'd have to look for their weaknesses with a magnifying glass."
Huntelaar said: "We have the chance to show our fans what we can do. To beat Bayern at home, would be a great thing, and we will give our best."