Del Piero confirms Sydney switch
A-League side Sydney FC have signed Alessandro Del Piero on a two-year deal, the Juventus legend has confirmed.
Del Piero, 37, announced the move at a press conference in Turin on Wednesday, however news of the proposed deal hit the headlines last week.
The delay in confirmation was caused by Liverpool's late interest in the forward, according to Sydney chief executive Tony Pignata, but the Reds have since dismissed the claim as "nonsense".
"Liverpool have come in - and they're a big club, there's no denying that,'' Pignata told Fox Sports Australia. "But I think the attraction of Australia might sway us."
Del Piero, who turns 38 in November, will join a list of former stars to have joined the A-League late into their career that includes the likes of Robbie Fowler, Romario, Juninho and Dwight Yorke.
"It is a special day for me," Del Piero said. "I'm happy to announce that I have signed agreement with Sydney for the next two years.
"I'm happy to begin this adventure and I want to thank all the teams that I have talked to," he said. "There was no better option than this, thank you Sydney FC and everyone in Australia."
Del Piero, who began his career with Padova, made 91 appearances for Italy and is the all-time leading goalscorer for Juventus.