Mario Balotelli to have eye surgery
Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli will undergo minor eye surgery and face a short layoff.
The Italy international wears contact lenses when playing but recently has experienced problems with them because of some instances of conjunctivitis.
Man City hopes the 22-year-old could be playing again within two weeks and have waited for the international break to book him in for the procedure. He will, however, miss the Azzurri's World Cup qualifiers against Bulgaria and Malta.
"I think he is okay; it is just a normal procedure. It is just a minor operation," City first-team coach David Platt said. "The contact lenses are the issue when he gets it, conjunctivitis. He can't get his contact lenses in, so he can't really play."
There had been reports Balotelli could be out for a month because of the problem but Platt says that is wide of the mark.
"I don't know where that has come from," Platt said.
Balotelli was an unused substitute for Saturday's Barclays Premier League match against QPR.