Hamburg director of football Frank Arnesen has come under fire from both the media and the club's board, and looks set to depart the German outfit.
Arnesen, 51, could be on his way out of Hamburg after failing to build a sufficiently strong squad, reports in Germany claim. The former Chelsea and Tottenham chief was not believed to have been involved in setting up the Petr Jiracek deal, despite it being part of his remit.
In a hectic transfer period for for the club, Arnesen so far has failed to improve Hamburg's attacking options. Despite the recent signings of Jiracek and Dinamo Zagreb player Milan Badelj, 23, the club are still looking to add another forward and Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart to their squad.
The Dane seems to be redundant in trying to reach a final breakthrough in the Van der Vaart deadlock, though, with Sueddeutsche Zeitung claiming Arnesen has had no involvement with the discussions with Tottenham becuase he and Spurs chairman Daniel Levy don't have a good relationship.
Only a few weeks ago manager Thorsten Fink had said Arnesen was "doing a great job", but kicker now claims the director of footbll has lost the support of certain members of the board, with his role discussed during a recent meeting.
"We can talk about everything at on Friday. Then my job is done," Arnesen explained, implying his role is under threat. Abendblatt reports, Hamburg were already producing marketing materials with the name Van der Vaart and the No. 23 on them on Thursday.
The first players have already spoken out in favour of the Dutch international. Goalkeeper Rene Adler told the press: "That would be sensational. He'd help enormously. He reminds the fans of the good times. It would be a bit like 'Back To The Future'."