Brighton & Hove Albion
Game Details
Crystal Palace
Game Details
Manchester United
Game Details
Manchester City
Newcastle United
5:30 PM UTC
Game Details
Atletico Madrid
Game Details

Fulham fall, Stoke upset

Fulham were the biggest casualties from the Capital One Cup second round as they fell 1-0 to Sheffield Wednesday, while Stoke were beaten 4-3 in extra-time by Swindon.

Wednesday stretched their remarkable unbeaten run under manager Dave Jones to 17 matches and although Gary Madine's 50th-minute penalty was all that separated the sides, it was no fluke win by the Owls who have started their Championship campaign brightly following promotion from League One last season.

Swindon pulled off a significant upset as a James Collins helped the npower League One side claim a dramatic 4-3 extra-time victory at Stoke.

The Robins shocked their Premier League opponents in the opening period as Collins pounced upon a mistake by Potters goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen to make it 1-0 in the 27th minute and then doubled their lead by nodding in just prior to half-time.

Stoke salvaged extra-time after the break through strikes from Kenwyne Jones and Jon Walters, but Paulo Di Canio's Swindon would not be denied in the additional period, with defender Aden Flint (105) and Collins (119) netting either side of Peter Crouch's header (111) for the hosts.

Luke Moore's double helped Swansea book their place in the third round with a 3-1 victory over battling Barnsley at the Liberty Stadium.

Goals either side of the break from Danny Graham and Moore put Swansea, who rejected Manchester City's £6.2million bid for Scott Sinclair earlier in the day, firmly in control. But the Welsh side were wobbling after Bobby Hassell pulled a goal back for the Championship visitors, until Moore slotted his second with three minutes remaining to maintain Swansea's 100% start to the campaign.

Aston Villa secured the first win of the Paul Lambert era as goals from Fabian Delph, Chris Herd and Darren Bent sealed a comfortable 3-0 win over Tranmere at Villa Park.

Wigan saw off a spirited fightback by Nottingham Forest to beat them 4-1 despite being reduced to 10 men at the City Ground. Mauro Boselli opened the scoring for Wigan before Maynor Figueroa's 30-yard rocket and Jordi Gomez's strike gave the Barclays Premier League side a comfortable half-time lead in a dominant display.

Forest hit back immediately after the break when Republic of Ireland international Simon Cox unleashed a thunderbolt but, even with Wigan defender Antolin Alcaraz's departure in the 78th minute, the visitors managed to keep Forest at bay, with Callum McManaman's last-minute goal sealing the win despite a much-improved performance by Forest in the second half.

A stoppage-time goal from Nicky Ajose dumped Bolton out and booked League One side Crawley's place in the third round of the competition for the first time with a 2-1 win.

Bobby Zamora's exquisite chip helped QPR comfortably ensure progress, 3-0 against Walsall, at a sparsely-occupied Loftus Road. The west Londoners dominated proceedings throughout as they avoided a third straight defeat in the competition to lower league opposition without much fuss.

West Ham striker Nicky Maynard refused to celebrate after his goal helped send former club Crewe tumbling out 2-0 at Upton Park. Maynard, a product of the famous Crewe academy, opened the scoring for the Hammers with a sweet volley from inside the box and in front of the travelling support. Modibo Maiga marked his full debut by doubling the lead from close range after the interval as West Ham eased into the third round.

James McClean reminded debutant Adam Johnson he is not the only winger on Wearside as Sunderland eased past Morecambe 2-0. McClean headed home Johnson's 24th-minute corner at the near post and then fired coolly past keeper Barry Roche from his 65th-minute cross to end the npower League Two side's lingering hopes of a fightback.

Jason Puncheon smashed home a sensational 30-yard volley as Southampton strolled to their first victory of the season with a 4-1 win at Stevenage. Nigel Adkins' side have found life difficult this season, but after defeats to Manchester City and Wigan, the Saints put in an impressive second half display to see off League One Boro.

Burton breezed into the third round for the first time in their history after blitzing past Championship Leicester 4-2. The Brewers belied their League Two status and made light work of their East Midlands rivals, winning the game with a three-goal salvo in 15 second-half minutes.

Garry Thompson struck a dramatic winner as League Two Bradford knocked Watford 2-0. The midfielder scored three minutes into stoppage time to stun Gianfranco Zola's npower Championship side, who led through Ikechi Anya's fine goal until six minutes from the end.

Chris Hughton picked up his first win as Norwich manager at home to Scunthorpe, 2-1, but his side were pushed all the way by their lower league opponents. Simon Lappin's first Norwich goal in almost five years and a second-half penalty from Wes Hoolahan proved just enough to see off League One outfit Scunthorpe, who had seen Mark Duffy equalise with a superb 30-yard effort.

Jamaica international Rodolph Austin continued his impressive integration in to English football with a goalscoring, all-action display for Leeds as they saw off Oxford 3-0. He opened the scoring and their second goal came from a wonderful close-range lob from teenager Sam Byram. Their third was from Tom Lees and, while Byram's goal will be remembered for longer, it was the performance of Austin that was the standout on the night.

Nicky Wroe struck twice to help League One Preston to a shock 4-1 victory over Championship strugglers Crystal Palace.

Luke Chadwick scored twice to dump lacklustre Blackburn out and send MK Dons into the third round in a 2-1 win. Chadwick netted two close-range finishes before David Goodwillie nodded in an 83rd minute consolation goal for Rovers as the Dons claimed a richly-deserved giant-killing victory.

Teenage substitutes Mark Beck and David Symington were Carlisle's heroes as the League One side dramatically came from behind to beat Championship side Ipswich 2-1 after extra-time in a second round Capital One Cup tie at Brunton Park.

Goalkeeper Brian Jensen was Burnley's hero as the Championship side avoided an upset by seeing off plucky Plymouth on penalties. After it finished 1-1, the long-serving Dane took the plaudits in the shoot-out as he saved from Williams, Luke Young and Hourihane, leaving Brian Stock to convert the decisive spot-kick as the Clarets prevailed 3-2.

An injury-time goal from David Syers completed a tremendous comeback by Doncaster and gave them a 3-2 win over Championship side Hull City, who had led by two goals.

Managerless Coventry advanced after Carl Baker's strike gave them a 3-2 extra-time win over local rivals Birmingham.

Mustapha Carayol and Cameron Park grabbed a goal each as Middlesbrough made it through 2-0, ending Gillingham's winning run in the process.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.