Agent: Christian Benteke bid rejected
Aston Villa's bid for Genk striker Christian Benteke has been rejected, his agent said Tuesday.
Villa reportedly offered 5.5 million pounds ($8.6 million) for the 21-year-old Belgian but agent Eris Kismet claims Genk's demands are unrealistic as they are comparing him to Eden Hazard, who plays for Chelsea.
"Christian has always said he wants to play in the Premier League. It's no use to compare him to Eden Hazard. He's not at that level and far from it," Kismet told BBC Sport.
"He's a Belgian player with half a good season behind him. Genk don't seem to want to collaborate."
Kismet, when asked by the Press Association if Villa will make a new offer, said: "The big issue is how Genk behave."
Kismet denied reports that Benteke has gone on strike following Genk's rejection of Villa's offer, telling BBC Sport that his client is simply ill and is expecting to play in his team's Europa League contest against Lucerne on Thursday.
Kismet further clarified his client's position in an interview with the Press Association.
"It is not true to say he has gone on strike -- but he is not happy with the situation either. Very simply, he wants to go and play in England, in the Premier League. That is his dream
"You play football to make an impression so you can live your dream and when the football club is not being co-operative, you have got a problem."
Benteke, who has three years left on his contract with Genk, has scored three times in five games this season after netting 18 goals during the 2011-'12 campaign in all competitions.
He also scored for his country for the first time in a 4-2 win over Holland earlier this month on what was his fifth appearance.
Benteke has the physical presence that Villa has lacked up front since Emile Heskey left the club at the end of last season.
Villa lost its first two Barclays Premier League matches this season with West Ham and Everton, with No. 1 striker often looking isolated.
Information from the Press Association was used in this report.