Bristol City
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018

Hot List: Pizarro in line for call-up

Mexico

PSG sign free agent Lassana Diarra

Agger: Barcelona move would appeal

Liverpool centre-back Daniel Agger has admitted he would be interested in a move to Barcelona.

• Play Premier Fantasy - it's free
• Agger in the dark
Live Transfer Blog: On the Move

Agger, 27, has made it clear he would rather stay at Anfield, but has only a year left on his contract and talks over a new one have stalled.

Manchester City have seen a £20 million offer rejected, with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers saying he wants to keep the defender. However, Rodgers has admitted that Agger could leave Anfield for the right price, with the club understood to value him at £25 million.

The defender himself has played down talk of a move to City, telling Danish newspaper Politiken that he is happy at Liverpool and any decision over a transfer is out of his hands.

But speaking at a media gathering ahead of Denmark's friendly against Slovenia, he suggested that he would be interested in a move to the Camp Nou.

The Daily Mail reported him as saying: "There is one club who would make it very difficult for me to stay at Anfield. Barcelona would be great, because they are the best in the world.

"But I am feeling great where I am. I'm with a special club, and I feel I am influencing what happens on the pitch. I am happy to be a Liverpool player."

Barcelona have not made an approach for Agger, who joined Liverpool from Brondby for £6 million in 2006. But a move is still a possibility, with Liverpool so far declining to offer him a contract he feels reflects his value to the club.

It is understood that Anfield officials are prepared to wait and see whether any bigger offers come in before the transfer window shuts at the end of August.

Agger added: "I have always considered it an honour to play for a club like Liverpool, and that feeling has been strengthened by the way people in the town have stayed solidly behind the team and me, even when things haven't always gone as they would have hoped.

"You get a sense of how good and how big this club is when you play for them in the Champions League. They are special games, and I believe we can recreate those great nights - hopefully soon."

Comments