Everton have invited young Caen striker M'Baye Niang to their Finch Farm training base for a trial as he considers a move to the Premier League.
Niang, 17, will spend a few days on Merseyside as manager David Moyes ponders making a £6 million bid.
Moyes has been told that he will be able to spend some of the £12 million Everton have received up front from Manchester City for midfielder Jack Rodwell. He is keen to add a striker to his squad, following Tim Cahill's departure to New York Red Bulls and the exit of loanees Royston Drenthe and Denis Stracqualursi.
As it stands, Nikica Jelavic is Moyes' only available out-and-out striker going into the new season. The Everton manager hopes to have at least one new signing on board before his side's Premier League opener at home to Manchester United on Monday night.
Niang, who has made two appearances for France's Under-21 side, was the youngest first-team player in Caen's history when he made his debut against Toulouse in April 2011, aged 16 years and 114 days.
A physically imposing player yet mobile player, Niang made an instant impression at the back end of the 2010-11 season, becoming the second youngest scorer in Ligue 1 history.
He struggled with injuries last season and scored only twice in 14 starts as Caen were relegated from the French top flight. But Caen Under-19 coach Phillippe Tranchant has described him as a player of huge potential, adding: "We've never seen a player like him at the club before."
Niang trained with Arsenal for a week earlier this summer, but their £5 million offer for the striker was rejected. Manchester City, Tottenham and AC Milan have also been linked with bids.
Caen president Jean-Francois Fortin confirmed earlier this month that two English clubs had made offers for Niang. He said: "Arsenal made me a proposition. Other clubs are interested – two in England and one in Italy."