Bristol City
5:30 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018
Sampdoria
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018

LIVE: Madrid could move for Courtois

Transfer Talk

Rodgers looking to win over fans

Brendan Rodgers feels he has a lot to prove at Liverpool and believes the majority of the club's fans are "still not sure" about his appointment.

Liverpool 3-1 Bayer Leverkusen

• High prices annoy Rodgers
• Liverpool sign Allen

After a hugely impressive spell in charge of Swansea City, Rodgers arrived at Anfield looking to revitalise the club after the sacking of fans' favourite Kenny Dalglish.

"I do feel at home but I will never be complacent," he said. "I'm sure the majority of supporters are still not sure about me. I've got so much to prove here. I have got to fight for my life to prove I am good enough to be here.

"I feel comfortable in relation to my position and work on the field. My promise was to fight for the club every single day.

"We're in a good moment and a good position. We've had a terrific pre-season and we've already started our competitive games in the Europa League. We now arrive into the Barclays Premier League next week with a real strong mindset, and hopefully that can continue.

"Certainly, I am very, very pleased with where we're at. The players have shown great determination and they want to learn. They're very happy to work in this way. I am delighted with where we're at because I know the vision and where this leads to, and hopefully it will continue to improve."

It also appears that Andy Carroll, who rejected a move to West Ham United earlier this summer, could have a place in the manager's plans.

Rodgers had indicated that Carroll would be allowed to leave Anfield, but the England striker scored for the Reds against Leverkusen and Rodgers said: "The poor guy got stuck with it that he can't play this way, but it was a wonderful piece of skill."

Comments