SFA chief received death threats
Stewart Regan, the chief executive of the Scottish Football Association, has revealed that he received death threats as the Rangers saga developed throughout the summer.
Regan said he was visited by counter-terrorism police after being threatened both online and in letters, and was given safety advice.
He was heavily criticised over his handling of the situation, which ended with the Rangers newco being voted into the Third Division and finally granted SFA membership - enabling them to play friendlies and competitive games - at the end of last week.
Regan said: "When you start to get threats on things like Twitter and emails and letters through the post that are uncomfortable, let's say, then you have to listen seriously to what the police are saying.
"We have had visits from the counter-terrorism unit, and I've had personal discussions with the police from the perspective of my own safety.''
As the Rangers saga unfolded, Regan - who lives alone in Scotland, with his family based in England - had security around him stepped up, but said the situation had never made him consider leaving his SFA job.
"I've had the conversations with police about people outside, police cars driving past outside my flat and so on," he added. "But it's never once made me think about walking from the job. I remain committed to the job and will continue to give 100%."
On Tuesday, the Rangers newco owners Sevco Scotland Limited changed their name to The Rangers Football Club Limited after shareholders voted in favour of the idea.
The change was approved at a meeting of oldco shareholders at Ibrox. The newco began its footballing life at the weekend with a 2-1 extra-time Ramsdens Cup win against Brechin.
Charles Green's Sevco bought the business and assets of Rangers in June after the club was consigned to liquidation earlier in the summer, and he said: "As every fan knows, Rangers is Rangers - it always has been and it always will be.
"The club still has its 140 years of history, and we are now embarking on the next 140 years. We are back playing football, and the board is focused on rebuilding this great club over the next few years."